Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Crisps


There are all kinds of recipes on the Internet for "fruit salsa".  I finally got around to trying it and I must admit, it's tremendous. I made it last night and my granddaughter gobbled it up. I think kids of all ages will enjoy it! And it's cheap...I added up all the ingredients and this dessert cost about $3.50.  Here's how I made mine:

Yummy fruit

Different recipes call for different fruit. I just went with what I had in the house: a half can of chunked up pineapple left over from another recipe, one and half bananas, about half a clamshell (around 8 ounces) of fresh blueberries and strawberries I bought at Aldi's and one apple. I added about 2 Tablespoons of sugar, and a Tablespoon of lemon juice (to prevent the fruit from discoloring) and mixed. 

Tortillas coated with butter

Next, spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.  Take four flour tortillas and cut them up like a pizza into triangular shapes.  I just stacked them all together and actually used my pizza cutter. I melted about 2 Tablespoons of butter in the microwave then brushed both sides of the tortilla with butter with a pastry brush. 


Crisps ready for the oven


I put a little sugar (about 3 Tablespoons) and cinnamon (about 1 Tablespoon) into an old spice bottle and mixed together. I never can understand people who buy pre-mixed cinnamon and sugar. I'm lazy, but not that lazy. Plus, I'm cheap.

Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar directly onto the cut up tortillas.  The more the better I always say. Don't worry if you get some on the cooking sheet. This is a great job to give kids. Put into a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. I start checking the crisps after about 15 minutes and then take them out when done.


Ta-da!


Put a little fruit in a bowl and surround with some cinnamon crisps. Use the crisps to bring the fruit salsa to your watering mouth. Delicious!

I think this would make a great appetizer for any party. It would look so pretty with the fruit salsa in a glass bowl with the crisps arranged around it. It's also just a fantastic way to use up overripe fruit. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment