Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cheap Outdoor Decorating or How to Stencil Steps


 Years ago I had the idea to stencil the steps leading to my front door. I choose to use the fruitages of the spirit listed in Galatians 5:22-23:

"On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law."

I didn't have enough steps for long-suffering, mildness or self-control which are probably the qualities I need to work the most upon.

Over the years, the words have faded into a nice patina. I like the worn look.


This is a really easy and cheap project.  Buy stenciled letters, found at any craft store. (This project should cost around $20 because you may need more than one stencil set plus spray paint). The letters will be individual and you simply tape the letters together to make the words you would like to stencil. Next, tape the stencil to the step. Make sure it is on good and tight. Then spray paint lightly. I have found one or two light coats is best to prevent dripping. And believe me, if they handed out degrees in spray painting. I would have my masters.


Depending on your family and number of steps, it would be very cute to stencil the names of all your family members. Or something like, "Hogan House" on one step and "Est. 1982" on another. Or your address. Oh, the possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment